Sunday, October 13, 2013

GracePoint Community Church - Nutrition Talk Notes


You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.  I Corinthians 6:20

Eat the foods that God intended for food, in their most natural state.  (Rex Russell MD, What the Bible Has to Say About Healthy Living)

Pace yourself!  Make small choices every day that will add up to healthier living.  Buy one new vegetable (or other healthy item) each time you shop.  Taste a bite of something everyday to acquire a taste for it.

Control toxic thoughts and emotions!  Love this – combines Biblical wisdom and science. Free e-book  called Who Switched Off My Brain

Chicken Broth recipe (I only do the basic carrot, onion/onion skins and celery.  I do my beef broth the same way except I use red wine or red wine/balsamic vinegar and cook for 72 hours)

Books: 
What the Bible Has to Say AboutHealthy Living by Rex Russell MD *This is the most basic book.  If you're already overwhelmed, read this one


Best breakfast:  Sautéed veggies (in coconut oil or butter) with an egg!  Or soup! :) Or sometimes I cook an egg in my soup, stirring only the white, and leaving the yolk untouched. 

Quick and easy sauerkraut and juice:  Core an organic cabbage.  Place in a blender and cover about 3/4 of the way with water.  Add 1 T sea salt.  Blend until cabbage is fine pulp.  This may take pulsing and blending for a couple minutes, depending on your blender strength.  Pour mixture into mason jars with 2 part metal lids.  Seal tightly.  Leave at room temperature for 4 days.  Then refrigerate for at least several weeks (six weeks is ideal) to age – the flavor mellows and the final product will taste much better.  When ready to use, strain sauerkraut pulp to use in soup (add a couple teaspoons to each bowl of soup) and sauerkraut juice (take shots of this as a health tonic! )  In the meantime, buy some raw sauerkraut at a health food store and blend it up so you can hide it in soup!

Amazing blog of my friend Mary  www.gapsblog.com!  She’s way more knowledgeable than I am about nutrition.  Be sure to check this out. 

Documentaries (most available on Netflix, but if you google the name and “free” you can usually find them to stream somewhere for no charge!)
Hungry for Change
Food, Inc.
Forks over Knives

Local Food Sources:
Trader Joes • Did I mention that I shop here?  :)  If they do carry an item, I’ve found they beat anyone’s prices.
New Seasons – take a tour or a nutrition class to get discounts
Whole Foods - shop carefully both here and New Seasons - spendy!  But if you can hit Whole Foods on a Monday pick up a Rotisserie Chicken for $6.99

I’m sure I’ve left something out that I said I would put on here, so please remind me in the comments!



No comments: