Sunday, March 1, 2009

Atmosphere in the Home Part I

Over the years I have been so blessed by all the "older" moms who have taken time out of their busy schedules to share with "younger" moms.

I have been to many groups - MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers), Hearts at Home and others whose names I can't remember. I always left feeling so encouraged and inspired. These are such important ministries, and I hope someday to do my part as an older mom. Problem is, right now, I'm an older mom but I still have a two-year-old. So here's to blogging instead.

I remember being asked by an older mom, "How do you want your kids to remember you?" Are you always rushing to get somewhere? Are your kids going to remember you saying "Hurry, hurry, get your shoes on and get in the car!" Is this the legacy you want to leave?

I remember feeling very convicted. And I think about it to this day.

We need to have balance. We want to make sure our kids have time for church, school, extra-curricular activities, family, chores, friends... and depending on the day and the season, we tend to be a little out of balance in one way or another, but always coming back to center.

How do we do this? I think it starts with getting supernatural help. I don't know about you, but I can't do it on my own.

Do you really believe that the Creator God, Who made you, Who made this world, Who made the universe, Who is love, Who sent His own Son to die for you, has more thoughts of you than there are grains of sand? (see Psalm 139:17-18)

If you really believe that (and it is true!) won't you cuddle up to your Abba Father, and seek His infinite wisdom for your day?

Enjoy Him!

Wake up before your kids (or put on a video) and have your spot. For me, that's coffee & water, a blanket, my Bible, journal and sometimes my copy of Morning and Evening (a devotional by Charles Spurgeon.) And my dayplanner too, though I try not look much at that. Only to write things down that I need to remember that come to me as I pray - since it is my brain.

Personally, I do not work on an official "Bible Study" during this time. I read the Psalms or another book of the Bible and meditate on God's Word and pray, going back and forth between Scripture and journaling/praying. But I don't do well with feeling like I'm doing homework.

If you only have five minutes, spend five minutes praising Him for Who He is (reading the Psalms and copying Scriptures down that describe Him is great for this). Getting your mind off yourself and all the unimportant things we tend to worry about will do wonders for your day! If you have more time, continue through the ACTS model of prayer (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication - presenting your requests to God).

If you aren't a morning person, just try it anyway. Even if you can have just a little quiet time in the morning, I think it will bless your day.

Okay, this is getting long. I've just added "Part I" to the title, and I will continue it later :-)

For more great information on getting started on quiet times, head over to my friend Jeannie's blog.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

so true- and neat link. I already visited. Thanks!

Unknown said...

My heart leaps for joy as I celebrate the Godly women the Lord has placed in my life! Thank you for this blog--you, the "young" Mom, have inspired this "old" mom! Praise God for his love, grace and infinity!

Unknown said...

P.S. I still read the Spurgeon book you got me!