Sunday, March 20, 2011

Eucharisteo II

From One Thousand Gifts:


"A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit."  Erasmus said that, contemporary and admirer of Martin Luther.  When I read this thought, I am surprised because I had never known and I am sad for all that would have changed if only I had.


I look down at the pen, this pen I keep wielding, one writing her way to one thousand.  This pen:  this is nothing less than the driving of nails.  Nails driving out my habits of discontent and driving in my habit of eucharisteo.  I'm hammering in nails to pound out nails, ugly nails that Satan has pierced through the world, my heart.  It starts to unfold, light in the dark, a door opening up, how all these years it's been utterly pointless to try to wrench out the spikes of discontent.  Because that habit of discontent can only be driven out by hammering in one iron sharper.  The sleek pen of gratitude.


I hammer.

And so my list continues.

58.  Enjoying different family dynamics when our oldest three are elsewhere
59.  Dinner for 6 on the lanai
60.  Tucking in tired, sun kissed children
61.  Not knowing or caring what day it is
62.  Early morning cuddles.
63.  Kissing soft chubby Bode cheeks.
64.  Wondering what deep thoughts Cade is thinking.
65.  The strange feeling of having a child that is smarter than I am.
66.  God’s goodness in giving me everything I need, mostly a relationship with him, to raise these children to His glory.
67.  Contentment
68.  Simple habits of coffee, Bible, reading the Psalm of the today’s date.
69.  The spiritual disciplines of adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication (ACTS).
70.  Leather journals
71.  Bode sideling up next to me, asking me what all the highlighted verses in my Bible say
72.  Blond highlights coming out in my children’s sun-kissed hair.
73.  Bode back for round four of morning hugs.
74.  Early morning TV for kids so I can have some uninterrupted quiet time.
75.  Dan waking up right when I realized I have no idea how to operate the TV
76.  Working out in a breeze
77.  The feel of a good stretch
78.  Post workout pineapple juice
79.  More time to read One Thousand Gifts on the deck

    No comments: